Visiting Artist Residency at Trestle Gallery
Application Deadline: December 10, 2019 (11:59PM)
Residency Dates: January 1 - June 30, 2020
All artists will be notified by email within 2 weeks post the application deadline.
The Visiting Artist Residency (VAR) at Trestle Gallery allows artists to explore and
deepen their practice while sharing their artistic experience and creative process with the
public and the Trestle Art Space community. Our mission is to cultivate a supportive and
diverse arts community and we seek artists with an interest in education and activism as
part of their practice.
Twice a year, two artists are offered a private studio membership in exchange for enriching
Trestle’s public and studio programming. This residency is ideal for established artists with
a serious practice and dedication to community engagement. The residency includes 24/7
access to our facilities, participation in Gowanus Open Studios & South Brooklyn Open
Studios, and representation on our member registry. The 6-month residency culminates in a
group exhibition at Trestle Gallery in December 2020 showcasing all four 2020 VARs.
Responsibilities of Visiting Artist Residents at Trestle:
- Leading Monthly Critiques - These two hour meetings are free and open to the
public. They encourage a dialogue between artists of different media to share and
talk about their work, all the while expanding their practice. We seek to provide
members of the local community with support and professional development that
they might not otherwise have access to.
- Holding Scheduled Studio Hours - Trestle’s VAR will designate one 3 hour block of
time each month to meet with members of Trestle Art Space. These meetings offer
support to artists by allowing them to show their work, review artist statements, and
seek professional advice. Providing letters of reference/recommendation is not
- Engaging with the Trestle and South Brooklyn Community - More generally, VARs
will facilitate and promote the sharing of ideas and enhance our dynamic culture. We
encourage VAR artists to get involved with the community at Trestle and the local
South Brooklyn community by inviting guest speakers, attending Trestle Gallery
exhibition opening/closing receptions and participating in open studio events.
*Please note: we do not provide housing*
- Applicants are required to submit 4-8 work samples.
- Images must be in .JPG or .JPEG format, titled: LastnameFirstname_Title.jpg
- Media can be submitted in .MOV, .MPG4, .MP3, or .GIF format, titled: Lastname_Firstname_Title.mpg4
- CV, Statement, and Bio must be submitted in PDF form, titled: LastnameFirstName_CV.pdf; LastnameFirstName_Statement.pdf; LastnameFirstName_Bio.pdf;
- Applicants must have at least one professional reference.
*IMPORTANT*: PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM AND PROMOTION FOLDERS FOR COMMUNICATIONS REGARDING YOUR APPLICATION